It seems like summer has just started with heat wave making it difficult for all of us. But before we get comfortable with the summer heat, rainy season seems to be creeping in slowly. And we all know when rainy season arrives – Champorado for merienda! Here is a no-fail and easy Champorado recipe that you can try or use.
The secret to this recipe is the cinnamon powder which can be optional if you do not have. But if you do have cinnamon powder in your pantry – you won’t regret it!
No-Fail Easy Champorado Recipe
1 cup Glutinous Rice
5 cups Water
6 pcs Table/cocoa tablets
3/4 tsp Espresso powder or instant coffee
1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder (optional but great to add)
3/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
Dried Fish or Tuyo (if you like)
How to make Filipino Champorado
- Add the glutinous rice in a saucepan and wash it thoroughly with clean water to remove any dirt particles
- Add 5 cups of water and bring to a boil in high heat
- When it starts to boil, lower heat to low or simmer and add in the tablea or cocoa tablets.
- Stir the rice mixture to dissolve the tablea or cocoa tablets.
- Add in espresso powder or instant coffee, cinnamon powder and sugar.
- Make sure to occasionally stir to avoid burning at the bottom of the pan. Cook time will be around 15-20 or until it is with your desired consistency.
- Add in a cup of water every time – only when you feel it needs more cooking time or more liquid in your champorado
- Remove from heat when desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve in a bowl with evaporated/condensed milk drizzled on top.
- If you like, serve with a side of dried fish or tuyo.